About Medallion Pools
Medallion Pools has been a family owned and operated business located in the Richmond, VA / Tri-Cities area since it was founded in 1960 by John Mazza, Sr. The idea to create the business was born out of the constant pleading of Mr. Mazza's children to purchase a swimming pool. When he couldn't find anyone who sold or built pools in the area, Mr. Mazza, who was a band teacher in the Prince George County, VA public school system, decided to accept the challenge of starting his own business. That business has been growing ever since.
In the company's beginning the only pool that was available was a wood wall vinyl liner pool designed and manufactured by Mr. Mazza. During these early days Mr. Mazza would manufacture the pools in the evening in a small 20' x 30' Quonset hut and install them locally during the day. Through Mr. Mazza's determination, dedication and ability to develop and implement a unique high tech manufacturing process, Medallion Swim Pool Company, Inc. is now a leader in the swimming pool industry.
This determination and dedication inspired by Mr. Mazza is now being carried on by his family, employees, and dealers. Today, Medallion and it's dealers stand ready to offer you the greatest selection of Inground Pools, Above Ground Pools, Spas / Hot Tubs, Swim Spas, and Custom Liner Stairs, Benches, and Corner Stairs on the market. Medallion Pools is now owned and operated by Mr. Mazza's son, John Mazza, Jr. President. In 2003, we were joined by the third generation, John Mazza, III. After graduating from Radford University with a degree in business, he became a permanent member of our team as our purchasing manager. He is now Vice-President of our company.
Through the introduction of rapidly advancing technology and new manufacturing techniques, Medallion has now surged into the forefront of the pool and spa industry. Medallion is the only manufacturer and distributor in the industry to manufacture their own Aluminum, Galvanized Steel, and Stainless Steel Inground Pool Walls, Galvanized Steel and Aluminum Above Ground Pools, Spas, Swim Spas, Pool Corner Stairs, and Custom Pool Stairs. If you are looking for a company with a long and solid background in the pool and spa industry and a personal attention to quality and service, then look no further. You only need to look to Medallion.
- 1960 - Medallion Swim Pool Co., Inc. was founded by John Mazza, Sr. as a local swimming pool builder manufacturing and installing wood wall pools.
- 1965 - Medallion is now considered the largest pool builder in Virginia. Medallion signs its first dealer, Old Dominion Pools in Richmond, VA.
- 1970 - Medallion is manufacturing and installing over 150 pools per year. The average pool dealer in Virginia is installing 5 to 7 pools per year.
- 1974 - John Mazza, Jr. graduates college and comes to work for Medallion full time.
- 1976 - Medallion produces its first aluminum wall pool. Medallion still produces wood walls as well.
- 1978 - Medallion adds steel walls to its product line.
- 1979 - Medallion becomes one of the first companies in America to produce a spa and the only company producing a vinyl liner spa - everyone in the industry said it wouldn't work
- 1980 - Medallion adds stainless steel walls to its product line.
- 1981 - Medallion produces customized stairs for inground pools.
- 1985 - Medallion becomes a full line distributor of most major brands of pool accessories.
- 1989 - Medallion introduces the FunTub - eight sided spa with models up to 1,000 gallons.
- 1990 - John Mazza, Jr. and Vicki Parks purchase Medallion Swim Pool Co., Inc. from Virginia Mazza.
- 1991 - Medallion produces one of the first swim spas in the industry - the Supreme Swim Spa.
- 1992 - Medallion offers fully customized vinyl liner pool shapes.
- 1995 - Medallion develops a new style of adjustable A-frame brace - this brace saved over 50% in production time as well as cutting the cost of a A-frame brace in half
- 1998 - Medallion aluminum walls are now produced using a proprietary clinching method - the first in the industry
- 2000 - Medallion purchases a new 90,000 square manufacturing center on Interstate 95 in Colonial Heights, VA.
- 2003 - The third generation joins Medallion - John Mazza, III.
- 2003 - Medallion forms MVP - Medallion Vinyl Products - a vinyl liner manufacturing company with the most modern and high tech manufacturing equipment in the entire industry.
- 2005 - All of Medallion's manufacturing is now under one roof.
- 2006 - The Ultra Swim Spa is developed.
- 2007 - The Aerobispa Swim Spa is developed.
- 2008 - Medallion introduces its 20 gauge galvanized steel wall - sales exceed estimates by over 400%.
- 2010 - American Fabricated Metals is formed and purchases the fabrication division of Medallion Swim Pool Co., Inc. to produce all of the metal products.
- 2010 - MVP is sold to Plastimayd - Medallion Swim Pool Co., Inc. adds Plastimayd liners as one of its distributed products.
- 2011 - A new state of the art turret press was added to the production line - cutting production time by over 75% while increasing quality 10 fold.
- 2012 - First production model of the Ultra II Swim Spa is sold - this swim spa spent over two years in research and development and has far exceeded sales expectations.
- 2013 - A new, heavier duty clinching machine was added to our production line to increase versatility and increase production speed.
- 2014 - Performed a complete renovation of our display area for customers to see our products and provide a training facility for our many dealers from around the world.
- 2015 - Introduced our new affordable Cove Seat and Swim Out.
- 2016 - Performed a complete redesign of our inground pool panels in order to incorporate new manufacturing techniques to our production process thus improving quality and time.
- 2016 - Signed on with Waterlines, one of the premier product representation firms in the North East.